Plüschow is mentioned in documents for the first time. Eight hides of land are taxable by the Bishop of Ratzeburg. The estate is the ancestral seat of the von Plüskow family, which holds high offices in the then county of Schwerin.
*End of the 13th century *
The von Bülow family acquires Plüschow.
Plüschow is the setting of the signing of a memorable agreement. The Dukes of Mecklenburg buy the county of Schwerin. This is a significant milestone in the creation of the state of Mecklenburg.
The Hamburg merchant Philipp Heinrich Stenglin (1718 Hamburg – 1793 Plüschow) buys Plüschow and the accompanying villages.
Baron von Stenglin, by now a Danish baron, has the current Plüschow palace constructed. The construction is co-financed by 80,000 “Reichstaler” which Friedrich the Great has paid to von Stenglin as compensation. Following some setbacks in business von Stenglin and his wife Antoinette, the daughter of Hamburg’s Mayor Wiedow, and his children settle in Plüschow from 1763.
Almost a decade after his death, the heirs of Philipp Heinrich von Stenglin sell the bailiwick of Plüschow to the heir to the throne Friedrich Ludwig von Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1778-1819). It comprises the estates of Plüschow, Barendorf, Boienhagen, Friedrichshagen with Overhagen, Jamel, Meierstorf with Sternkrug and Testorf. Plüschow becomes the summer residence of the young heir and his wife Helena Pawlowna (1784-1803), the daughter of the Russian Tsar.
Death of Helena Paulowna. Friedrich Ludwig continued to spend almost every summer in Plüschow in the following years.
Plüschow becomes the property of the Grand Ducal family and is managed by tenants. Friedrich Franz IV has the palace renovated after 1897.
Abdication of the Grand Duke, Plüschow remains in his ownership.
The palace becomes a refuge for numerous German war refugees and exiles.
Expropriation of the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. With the land reform, new settlers are afforded not only shelter but are also given land to farm which later becomes part of the LPG (collective farm).
Use of the palace as a kindergarten, youth club, office and kitchen and into the 1990s, living space for former refugees.
The residents of Schloss Plüschow include artists.
First public art exhibition entitled “Nordwest”.
Establishment of the Förderkreis Schloss Plüschow e.V. as a supporter of the use of the palace as an artists’ residence in Mecklenburg.
1991 – 2001
The palace is extensively renovated.